Angel has the measuring spoons out and the pot on the boil.
Come on in and share your recipes and tips, ask a question or two or just get hungry from reading about great food.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Cyndi’s Yummy Chicken and Rice

An easy fix for dinner ... I’m lovin’ it!

When you have several in the family to feed and you’re on the go a lot, it’s so nice to find recipes that are easy to make and taste delicious. My co-worker Cheryl Jessup shared this one with me after she tried it during a recent trip visiting family.

If you don't have as many to feed this recipe could be halved - or just put some aside in the freezer for a quick lunch or dinner.

I made this at home and loved it. I had to make a couple adjustments since I was ready to make it, but didn’t have honey in the pantry. I mixed brown sugar with the melted butter. (I used Smart Balance and less than what was called for, to lower the fat content.)

I used basmati rice and vegetables that I had on hand: broccoli, chopped bell pepper, chopped mushrooms, and freeze-dried onion and garlic, sauteed with some olive oil. I also used Madras curry powder which my friend Nicole Towers shared with me.

The flavor is wonderful! I’d like to try it again with honey next time.

For two of my children who aren’t adventurous when it comes to spices - like curry and mustard - I made a tamer version on the side with the vegetables and with cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 C. of milk. I mixed that in and topped it with cheese - other cream soups would also work.

My 10-year-old rated it 4 out of 5, and since he’s on the picky side, that’s pretty good!

I rate the curry version a 5 out of 5. It's warm, sweet and hearty.

This recipe is for a 13 x 9 pan and feeds 8 easily.
Ingredients:
2 C. uncooked rice, brown or white
2 C. cooked chicken, cubed
1 C. chopped, steamed broccoli or veggie of choice
1 C. honey
1/2 C. yellow mustard
1 C. melted butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry spice

Instructions:
Make rice according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine/stir together well, melted butter, honey, mustard, salt, curry spice.
Spread rice on bottom of pan.
Mix together chicken and veggies.
Spread chicken/veggie mix on top of rice.
Pour sauce over chicken/veggie/rice.
Heat in oven for 15 minutes, if all ingredients are hot to begin with this may not be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment