Angel has the measuring spoons out and the pot on the boil.
Come on in and share your recipes and tips, ask a question or two or just get hungry from reading about great food.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pecan Pie

When the Boulder Creek Ranch pie social invitation came back in June, it didn’t take long to decide what to make. I love pecan pie. The dilemma was that I’d never made a very good one. The pecan pies I remember from childhood at family holiday gatherings were usually burnt on top.

I just happened to recently borrow a great cookbook from the local library which is packed full of great Southern recipes, “Mama Dip’s Kitchen,” by Mildred Council. I decided to give it a chance, and the South did not let me down - I knew it wouldn’t! To be on the safe side I covered the pie with foil halfway through ... no burnt top.

1 stick of butter or margarine
1 C. sugar
1 C. light Karo syrup
3 eggs, beaten
1 C. chopped pecans
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, melt the butter but don’t let it brown. Mix in the sugar and Karo syrup and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Allow sugar mixture to cool slightly, then stir in the eggs. Mix well. Stir in the pecans. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 1 hour or until firm when shaken.

Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment