Angel has the measuring spoons out and the pot on the boil.
Come on in and share your recipes and tips, ask a question or two or just get hungry from reading about great food.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Savory Cooked Carrots

Savory, simple and healthy would describe this side dish from my co-worker Cheryl Hoefler. This is a creative way to add vegetables to the dinner plate. I gave this a try the other evening, and updated the picture. I have to say, I've never tasted anything quite like it – I loved the flavor!

Ingredients:
6 C. shredded carrots (about 2 pounds)
3/4 C. chopped green onion
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 C. butter

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, onions, brown sugar, salt and celery salt. Place mixture in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish and dot with butter. Cover and bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.

Tip: Since I had some on hand, I added 2-3 Tbsp. of chopped red onion - yum!
Also, if you think a full 6 cups of shredded carrots in this recipe won't disappear fast enough at your home, try halving the recipe, or freezing leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment